By Keith Wilson
- Informed through the newest in scholarly, serious, and theoretical debates from the various world's best Hardy scholars
- Reveals groundbreaking insights via examinations of Hardy’s significant novels, brief tales, poetry, and drama
- Explores Hardy's paintings within the context of the most important highbrow and socio-cultural currents of his time and assesses his legacy for next writers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
'I am susceptible to imagine that we need new varieties . . . in addition to thoughts', confessed Elizabeth Barrett to Robert Browning in 1845. The Oxford guide of Victorian Poetry presents a closely-read appreciation of the vibrancy and diversity of Victorian poetic types, and attends to poems as either formed and shaping forces.
Competitive coverage, enthusiastic information insurance and sensational novelistic kind mixed to create a particular picture of Britain's Empire in late-Victorian print media. the hot Journalism, the hot Imperialism and the Fiction of Empire, 1870-1900 lines this phenomenon throughout the paintings of editors, certain correspondents and authors.
Byronic Heroes in Nineteenth-Century Women's Writing and monitor model charts a brand new bankruptcy within the altering fortunes of a distinct cultural phenomenon. This publication examines the afterlives of the Byronic hero during the paintings of nineteenth-century ladies writers and display diversifications in their fiction.
Anna Brownwell Jameson (1794-1869) was once a significant determine within the London international of letters and artwork within the early Victorian interval, and an incredible feminist author. Her associates integrated such figures as Harriet Martineau, girl Byron, Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. This examine considers her lifestyles and works, utilizing a distinct Jameson paintings because the crucial concentration of every bankruptcy.
- A History of Victorian Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
- The Novelty of Newspapers: Victorian Fiction After the Invention of the News
- Gender at Work in Victorian Culture: Literature, Art and Masculinity (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- Victorian Literature: An Anthology (Blackwell Anthologies)
Extra resources for A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Keith Wilson